[Techtalk] Problems Compiling XFree86

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Tue Sep 13 06:18:58 EST 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 04:20:46PM -0700, Maluvia wrote:

> I'm trying to compile XFree86 v.4.5 for an AMD64 system, (actually, I just want the TinyX server off it), and can't get to square one.
> It keeps exiting from the compile almost immediately saying:
>
> make[2] Makefile.proto: No such file or directory.
> make[2] *** No rule to make target 'Makefile.proto'. STOP
> make[1] [depend.bootstrap] Error 2
> make: *** [World] Error 2

Hi,

I've recently built Xorg-6.8.2 for an AMD64 system, and the default
build worked out of the box without any problems.  So, yes, I can
confirm it's supposed to work -- and in fact it shouldn't require a
genius to compile (essentially, it'a matter if typing "make World",
which I assume you did...).  I so far haven't built XFree86 for AMD64,
but AFAIK it should work just as well.  In those respects, there aren't
many differences between X.org and XF86.

Were there any errors before stumbling over the missing Makefile.proto?
The file is supposed to be created by imake, based on the various
predefined settings in xc/config/cf/*.  For a default build you
shouldn't need to create any additional config files (like AMD64.cf);
this is all being taken care of in linux.cf etc., depending on whether
'AMD64Architecture' is defined...  You might want to check whether
there's something like

# if defined(__amd64__) || defined(__x86_64__)
#   define AMD64Architecture

in Imake.cf (though I'd be surprised if this was missing...).  The
symbol __amd64__ or __x86_64__ is supplied by the C preprocessor (well,
it should be... :)

Imake itself comes with X and is built right before this step (in a
kind of bootstrapping fashion).  So, you also might want to make sure
that a working imake has been created in the directory xc/config/imake/.

Don't know if this helps, but good luck anyway ;)

Almut