[Techtalk] Enabling "web" keys in Linux

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Nov 30 16:44:47 EST 2005

I recently got a keyboard which has a row of those funny extra
buttons along the top: they're labeled things like News, Sports,
Travel, Shopping, Music, etc.

It would be fun to be able to use them in Linux, but googling
hasn't been much help.

xev shows events for about half of these keys, so I could remap
those, but it shows nothing at all for the other half. showkey
is the same: it shows press and release codes for half of the
keys but not the rest.

/proc/acpi/button only has directories for power and sleep; I don't
see anything that looks like it would be monitoring special buttons.
(Using the 2.6.10-5-386 kernel from Ubuntu Hoary.)

I'm thinking that maybe a different keymap from one of the ones
in /usr/share/keymaps might enable these keys, but it's not at all
obvious from the names, and googling for linux "web keys" keymap
hasn't been much help.

Any suggestions on how I might get key events for the keys that
currently aren't seen?

	...Akkana