[Techtalk] CVS and SSH ports

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Nov 30 14:46:28 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> I'm using the CVSROOT = :ext:mpm at foo.bar.com:/var/lib/cvsroot

As a followup to my previous post, I'd be inclined to put as many cvs
options as possible into the config file. So:

Host cvsnickname
Hostname foo.bar.com
User mpm
Port xxxx

And then you can set CVSROOT to :ext:cvsnickname:/var/lib/cvsroot

You generally access the options in the file via your chosen shorter
name set at "Host". If you don't want to set a shorter name, you can do
this:

Hostname foo.bar.com
User mpm
Port xxxx

and just leave out the Host directive. I think this may be the source of
your error: continuing to use the Hostname value to connect you, when
you should use the Host value.

-Mary