[Techtalk] CVS and SSH ports

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Nov 30 14:43:22 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> Then I googled, and found a thing about adding an alias to ~/.ssh/
> config:
>
> Host hostname
> HostKeyAlias foo.bar.com
> Hostname foo.bar.com
> Port xxxx
>
> And that didn't work either - ssh still tried to connect on port 22.

This should work. If you try to ssh directly to that host, but use "ssh
-vvv" do you see port 22 or another port? Are you doing "ssh hostname"
or "ssh foo.bar.com" ?

If one of those works and one doesn't, be sure that your CVSROOT
variable points at the one that works.

There may not be a need for HostKeyAlias, unless you're going to be
connecting to machines that would present two different keys both with
that machine name. (This might happen where for example ssh-ing to
firewall.example.com on port 22 connects to the firewall, but ssh-ing to
it on port 2222 connects to a machine behind the firewall because the
firewall forwards the port.)

See man ssh_config for more on this file to check that you understand
the options you're using.

-Mary