[Techtalk] Linux Laptops

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Thu Nov 3 17:51:47 EST 2005

Hi Kathryn,

> One thing I'm not sure about with the ThinkPads is that they don't
> tend to use a touchpad for a pointing device, but this odd red
> knob-thing in the middle of the keyboard.  How easy/hard is that to
> use?

My T30 has both the knobbie and a touchpad; the knob (which I've always
liked fine!) works just fine on mine, and the touchpad is turned off. I
*loathe* touchpads, so I haven't tried to swap over; someone else might
know better. The "buttons" on the touchpad work as mouse-buttons with
the knob, so I use my index or middle finger on the knob and thumb on
the buttons - YMMV, but I find it very comfortable.

I have a half-sized USB wireless mouse, which I dote upon, for use when
I've got a surface - it's cool, because it goes into powersave mode
when not in use, and has a wee sensor for you to run your thumb over
(down the left side) to wake it up. Ha! I bought all these extra
batteries for it because everyone said "Ack! the batteries go flat
really fast!" but they haven't...

Cheers,
--
Trish Fraser, W1S0B 8Q2KH