[Techtalk] Linux Laptops

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 3 17:30:26 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 08:39:12PM -0800, Caitlyn Martin wrote:
> Hi, Trish and everyone else,
> >
> > I've got a Thinkpad T30, and it works well - I've
> > only had it a week, so I haven't gotten around to
> > trying suspend/hibernate, but there are
> > packages for the buttons, and all the various
> > network interfaces were detected with no problems.
>
> I used to have one of those for work.  They do work
> well but they are an older model.  The T31 (with
> built-in wireless) replaced it.

One thing I'm not sure about with the ThinkPads is that they don't tend
to use a touchpad for a pointing device, but this odd red knob-thing
in the middle of the keyboard.  How easy/hard is that to use?  Yes, yes,
I know I can plug in my own favourite mouse and use that, but when I'm
working while travelling (such as sitting on the bus) then I won't have
a surface to put such an external device *on*, so I'd have to use the
built-in pointing device.  Even with a keyboard-oriented window-manager
(such as Ion), there will still be some pointing going on, depending on
what applications I'm using.  So I'd like to know what I would be
getting into if I went the ThinkPad route.

And thanks again everyone for all the info!

Kathryn Andersen