[Techtalk] gtk versions question

esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 07:32:00 EST 2005

On Sunday 17 Jul 2005 09:42, Patricia Fraser wrote:
> Hi Esme!

Hello! :-)  Success! :-)

> > > Hope someone has some ideas; even a list of the gtk versions from a
> > > working system would be helpful!
> >
> > Hmmnn... let's see if I can find that out..
>
> Ha, I fall on your neck - saviour! If you open a terminal (Konsole) and
> type in:
>
> rpm -qa |grep gtk
>
> and hit enter, and copy/paste the results into your reply, you will help
> me enormously!

Wow, that's neat! Here goes:

gtk+2.0-2.6.4-2mdk
pygtk2.0-wrapper-2.4.1-4mdk
gtk-themes-1.0-10mdk
pygtk2.0-2.4.1-4mdk
gtksourceview-1.1.1-2mdk
libgtkhtml1.1_3-1.1.10-6mdk
libgtkhtml-3.1_11-3.2.5-1mdk
libgtksourceview-1.0_0-1.1.1-2mdk
libgtkspell0-2.0.9-2mdk
libexif-gtk5-0.3.5-1mdk
gtkhtml-3.1-3.2.5-1mdk
libgtk-linux-fb-2.0_0-2.4.14-3mdk
libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-2.6.4-2mdk
gtkdialogs-2.1-1mdk
libguile-gtk-1.2_0-0.31-9mdk
gtk-engines2-2.6.2-2mdk
gtk-engines-0.12-9mdk
gtkam-0.1.12-8mdk
guile-gtk-1.2-0.31-9mdk
gtkspell-2.0.9-2mdk
libwxgtk2.5_3-2.5.3-6mdk
libgtk+2.0_0-2.6.4-2mdk
libgtk+1.2-1.2.10-41mdk
libgtkhtml2_0-2.6.3-1mdk

> Also, could you tell me whether, when you installed, you checked the box
> marked "Use Unicode by default" or not? (I did, and I think it's part
> of my problem.)

Nope! I know that I definitely did not!  I did notice that and wondered what
the point of it is (would it make it easy for me to do umlauts and accents
and things? That'd be nice, if so), but as it's not something I've done any
other time I've installed Linux on a PC, and as this is supposed to be my
everyday PC (so I can play with the other one and NOT screw up my internetty
stuff, which used to happen frequently, whilst I've been prodding around
trying to learn Linux. Fun, but can be trying...), I didn't. I mean, as I
understand it, Unicode is to help deal more easily with non-Roman alphabets,
but quite how it works that we have several kinds of coding available and
have to choose... I don't really understand how that works.

Anyway, glad to have been able to be of some help!

Take care,

Esme