[Techtalk] Re: [prog] Threading in digest mode.

henna hennar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 07:14:39 EST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:57:01 +1100, Sue Stones <suzo at spin.net.au> wrote:

> Yes, Gmail is good at threading mail, and it can move them into
> directories as they come in.  Gmail refers to putting mail into
> directories as archiving which is likely to be a bit off putting to
> people at first because it sounds like it may be hard to get to.  They
> don't make it clear that the mail can be just as easily accessed in
> subdirectories as it can in the inbox.  It give the impression that once
> mail is archived it can only be accessed by searching for it, meaning
> one might miss new mail.  Svaksha may possibly not be aware of that ability

<snip>

> I wonder why Gmail has invented their own jargon, rather than use
> established jargon.  It seems remarkably reminiscent of MS.

I assume you're refering to gmail's labels, they are not really subdirectories.
Think of them as subdirectories with symlinks to the original mail,
that way you can put a mail under 2 different labels.

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"