[Techtalk] Re: Mythtv

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Jan 22 11:36:39 EST 2005

MMP - Barb Fox wrote:

> Our VCR just broke so my husband and I have decided it's time to go to
> a hard disk recording solution. We are planning to set up a linux
> machine and use MythTV.
>
> Just wondering if any other chix have walked through this process.
> Right now we're selecting hardware and platform. My impressions so far:
>
> Impression 1:
> KnoppMyth would be the easiest implementation, but fewer hardware
> choices that work.
> My husband definitely wants to use the PVR-350 TV tuner card, and it
> looks like many folks have had trouble with this in KnoppMyth.
>
> Impression 2:
> Installing MythTV on Mandrake may give us the most hardware options.
>
> Factoid 3:
> I'm most familiar with RedHat/Fedora, plus there's a lot of RPM's
> already created, so that platform is attractive to me.
>
> Any feedback is appreciated!
>
> Barb Fox
> mmp_fox at bellsouth.net

Hi Barb,

I've been running myth for more than half a year now.
Master backend: SuperMicro with 2x PVR-250. Does recordings only,
currently myth CVS as of mid of december 2004.
distro: slackware.

slave backend / front-ends:
EPIA M6000, PVR-350. Slackware with Myth.
One of the EPIA's was for a long time the most used front-end, until we
setup a new TV system, with a new front-end system:

front-end:
Kast: Dign HV-5
mobo: Supermicro SPA+ met P4 2.8
video: NVidia FX5200
audio: Creative Emu10K1
netbooting with slackware, myth.
This system is difficult to hear with no TV or CD on, not to be heard
when any sound is in the room. Nicely quiet. The most noice is emitted
by the DVD player/writer when in use....

Yes, getting a PVR-350 to work can be minor hell. The ivtv list tends to
help pretty good. Another source of info is mythtv.info
Also, a PVR-350 gives a very good image. The reason i'm not using it on
the dign system, is that that is connectod to a HD ready plasma screen.
And that needs a higher resolution than the PVR generates.

factoid: Don't ask me any red had questions: i've never liked them....
Yes, i've tried Red Hat, i admire mr Telsa for his kernel work, but his
preferred distro is mine most disliked one. My fav list on distros:
1) slackware
2) Debian
3) SuSe

I also have a debian system than is running a myth frontend. Most of my
linux systems tend to have a mythtv frontend installed: easy TV watching
on any PC!

Cheers and good luck,

Rudy

P.S. forward after sending only private does not really work in Mozilla:
at least not with my default settings....