[Techtalk] Removing Grub from MBR

Bruce McPeek bruce.mcpeek at vidiator.com
Tue Jan 25 07:56:46 EST 2005

Peter,

An assumption is being made that the partition table is always in the
place the MS master boot record expects it to be.

Windows ME came out at the end of a period where boot sector viruses,
disk manager software, and boot access and / or switching utilities were
common. The viruses and boot access utilities would often move the
partition table. The disk manager software would change the drive
geometry reported by the BIOS. Booting with the BIOS supplied geometry
would result in looking in the wrong place for the partition.

So, while true that fdisk /mbr does not touch the partition, it can
still render the system just as unusable because the partition is not
where it is expected to be.

Bruce