[Techtalk] see a Windows Xp desktop on linux?

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Sun Jan 9 18:26:36 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 08:21:41 -0500, aec wrote:

Angelina,

> Carla I tried vnc, it was really slow, like click...wait 3 seconds and
> a window opens. Ok if i need to quickly cp a file, but not good if I
> have to actually use an app for any length of time.

There are a few things you can do to make it faster.  Reduce the
resolution, change to 8-bit colour, and use a simple solid colour
background.  Then start vncviewer like this:

    vncviewer -noshared -depth 8 -quality 0 \
        -encodings "copyrect tight  hextile  zlib  corre  rre"
        -owncmap -bgr233 xp:0

Cheers,

John
--
Back in the old days, software would grow until it could send and receive
e-mail, but now that even the virusses are doing that, the fashion has