[Techtalk] see a Windows Xp desktop on linux?

Peter Samuelson peter at p12n.org
Sun Jan 9 12:51:39 EST 2005

[Angelica Carlton]
> I am told there are a couple ways to do this, vnc and rdesktop being
> the 2 best choices.

Yeah.  From what I've seen, your IRC friends were right - rdesktop is
superior.  The main reason not to use it seems to be that, being a
Microsoft-supported solution, it's tainted with their evil.  On the
flip side, from what I remember of the standard Windows XP EULA, you
agreed not to use VNC with XP, or any other remote desktop software
that isn't RDP.  (I forget whether that clause applies to both XP Home
and XP Professional, or just one of them, but I think it's both.)

As it happens, I don't have a Windows box close to hand to set up
remote desktop and vnc on, to compare them firsthand.  Last I did
compare them, rdesktop had a much better design - significantly lower
bandwidth, better screen repainting, etc.  You should probably test
them both and see if this is still true.

I have only *used* Windows remote desktop solutions - I haven't set
them up or maintained them - so I can't answer your questions about
security and ease of configuration.

Peter