[Techtalk] Hardware compatibility list for FC2

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Aug 12 02:48:14 EST 2005

Linda de Boer writes:
> I am looking for a list of very cheap sound cards that are recognized by
> FC2 but they don't actually have to work well at all.
> I have done alot of looking, but most folks want the sound card to work.
> Yep, it's an odd request but has a purpose....;-)

Most of the really cheap sound cards, at least at the stores around
here, are no-name cards that you really can't really look up
effectively, because there's no way to know what chipset it uses
from the manufacturer and model (in fact, the chipset probably
changes according to whatever's cheapest that week). Sometimes they
don't even have real brand names.  The only way to find out if they
work is to buy one and try it. Usually they work fine, but if you
can find a store that allows returns, you're safe, otherwise you
risk the price of one card.

Linux hardware compatibility lists tend to lag years behind.
Any card that shows up on a hardware compatibility list by
manufacturer and model is probably (a) so old you can only buy it
in surplus stores or on ebay and (b) a lot more expensive than the
rock bottom no-name cards that typically go on sale in stores.

Sorry, I know that's not an easy answer.

	...Akkana