[Techtalk] Copying - WinXP to Samba - by Date fails?

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Mon Apr 25 19:26:04 EST 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:20:54AM +0200 or thereabouts, Hans Tegnerud wrote:

> I'm trying to do a simple backup with Robocopy or Xcopy from a few WinXP
> machines to a Samba share by only copying changed files, but for some reason
> there are always more files copied that was actually changed... Some files
> don't get copied more than necessary and some always get copied, regardless
> of their access/change/creation date/time.

Is there anything like one machine is running in UTC while the other runs in
local time?  Maybe a small time difference?  Is there some backup program
running on the FC1 machine that is adjusting timestamps?  Can you predict
which files will get unnecessarily copied?  What are the timestamps of these
files on XP and FC1?  (ls -lc for ctime, ls -lu for atime).

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.