[Techtalk] Copying - WinXP to Samba - by Date fails?

Hans Tegnerud hans_tegnerud at chello.se
Mon Apr 25 08:20:54 EST 2005

Hi folks. Been a long while since I posted in here...

I'm trying to do a simple backup with Robocopy or Xcopy from a few WinXP
machines to a Samba share by only copying changed files, but for some reason
there are always more files copied that was actually changed... Some files
don't get copied more than necessary and some always get copied, regardless
of their access/change/creation date/time.

I've singled out my FC1 + Samba 3.0.4 machine as the culprit (copying to
other Win machines isn't a problem at all).

I've checked the date & time from Windows with 'DIR' and a small program of
my own and neither last access / last change / creation time/date differ
between two files.

My copy command is either: 'xcopy source dest /D' or 'robocopy source dest'.

I've tried to find anything concerning file/date problems between Win and
Samba, but nothing yet...

Does anyone of you recognize my problem? Is there something I'm missing?

Regards
Hans