[Techtalk] Copying - WinXP to Samba - by Date fails?

Hans Tegnerud hans_tegnerud at chello.se
Tue Apr 26 06:04:29 EST 2005

>> I'm trying to do a simple backup with Robocopy or Xcopy from a few WinXP
>> machines to a Samba share by only copying changed files, but for some
reason
>> there are always more files copied that was actually changed... Some
files
>> don't get copied more than necessary and some always get copied,
regardless
>> of their access/change/creation date/time.

> Is there anything like one machine is running in UTC while the other runs
in
> local time?  Maybe a small time difference?  Is there some backup program
> running on the FC1 machine that is adjusting timestamps?  Can you predict
> which files will get unnecessarily copied?  What are the timestamps of
these
> files on XP and FC1?  (ls -lc for ctime, ls -lu for atime).

Thanks for taking the time Conor.

No, both machines are running CEST (CET + Summer time = GMT+2).

I've time synchronized both machines.

No backup program interfering.

I can predict which files get copied as far as they being the ones who
always seem to get copied over and over, regardless of whether they've
changed or not. Not all files in a folder get copied...

Since the file in question keep getting copied it's creation time is always
equal to its last access time on the FC1 machine (and thus younger than on
the XP machine), like this:

-- FC1 --
[hasseman at arwen BOINC]$ ls -lc client_state.xml
-rwxr--r--  1 hasseman hasseman 12564 Apr 25 21:53 client_state.xml
[hasseman at arwen BOINC]$ ls -la client_state.xml
-rwxr--r--  1 hasseman hasseman 12564 Apr 25 21:53 client_state.xml
[hasseman at arwen BOINC]$

-- XP --
D:\>dir /TC Prg\BOINC\client_state.xml
D:\>dir /TA Prg\BOINC\client_state.xml