[Techtalk] rsync transfers windows/linux

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 28 01:20:07 EST 2004

On 27/09/04 10:38 -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2004 10:29 am, Christine Bussman wrote:
> > Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> >

> > >Correction: The filesystem is NTFS, the partition is not.
> > >

> > Technically, you are correct, but I would say that most people in
> > thinking about their computers/hard drives think of the filesystem as
> > part of the partition.  However, you are right that it is better in a
> > case like this to be as accurate as possible.  My bad :)
>
> Sooo... can you mix filesystems on a single partition?

Not that I know of. Howveer, it is perfectly possible to have space in a
partition without a filesystem. The most common scenario would be a
dynamic partitioning system where the size of a partition has been
altered, but the filesystems has not been resized yet.

Oh, and you can use a partition to store and access data without a
filesystem.

For more details, and an extremely lucid explanation:

Devdas Bhagat