[Techtalk] First time upgrading hard drive (or learning to use grub)

Dennis Wheeler dennis.wheeler at vidiator.com
Mon Sep 27 18:07:37 EST 2004

Okay, I found a nice howto on using grub

I'm fairly confident now all my files are in the correct location

And I believe I'm using grub commands correctly to boot the new drive,
but now its hanging when it reaches the apm: (advanced power management,
I believe) output to the console.

I'm grasping at straws now, but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I
stupidly bought a hard drive larger than my bios can handle -- 160 gig
ATA/IDE

But it seems I don't have any problems access the new drive when booting
from a CD or even from the old drive (I guess maybe that means I should
keep both drives, adding this one as a second -- but I had plans for the
old drive already)

Any ideas why it's hanging? Or what I should look for next?

Grub commands I'm using:
  grub> setup (hd0)(hd0,0)
  grub> root (hd0,0)
  grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hda3
  grub> initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
  grub> boot