[Techtalk] New to the list

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Nov 2 08:13:20 EST 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 7:25 am, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, April wrote:
>
> > Just a dissenting opinion. :) As a newbie, Mandrake drove me three
> > kinds of nuts.  I had Windows-like problems with "It doesn't work
> > and no one will ever know why" situations.
>
> I like that!  It sums up my feelings about Windows.  Something goes
> wrong, and you feel that nobody knows why, and even if they do they
> don't want you to find out about it, and even if they do they're going
> to make you pay lots of money for some extra software, and even then
> you probably won't ever find out what went wrong anyway.

Me2.

> Linux is just the opposite.
>
> Sorry, I know nothing about Mandrake, and have nothing useful to
> add. :(    I quite like RedHat and Fedora, but it's more-or-less all
> I know.  (I dabbled with Caldera and Suse years ago and couldn't get
> on with them.)

One thing I always suggest to Linux noobs is pick one and stick with it. Pick
one that comes with nice printed manuals, and start with those. The Linux
world is richly varied, so you can go nuts distro-hopping and learning
eleventy-nine ways to do the same thing. Better to stick with one and become
productive, I think, than to drive yourself crazy with different
distributions.