[Techtalk] New to the list

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Tue Nov 2 20:27:32 EST 2004

Carla Schroder wrote:
>o you can go nuts distro-hopping and learning
> eleventy-nine ways to do the same thing. Better to stick with one and become
> productive, I think, than to drive yourself crazy with different
> distributions.

I use Mandrake.  When I first got a computer (probably 4 1/2 years ago)
I tried different distros (Mandrake, Red Hat, Debian, and a little later
Suse).   I

I wanted to use Debian but the install was too difficult.  It asked lots
of questions that I couldn't understand.  I didn't know what a SCSI was
and certainly couldn't remember if I had one. And there was a whole list
of questions and configurations that depended on that.  With another
computer, internet enabled, I would have at least been able to look for
answers.  But I only had a computer because friend helped me out by
giving me an old one.  And I desperately needed to get productive (I
started studying an IT degree at home, without a computer!).

In the end I settled for mandrake, and have stuck with it because I
haven't had time to learn anything else.  I still want to use Debian,
and I vaguely wonder about Red Had and certification.  But those things
will have to wait until I have time, and a spare computer for
experimentation.  (Which hopefully won't be too long away now.)

sue