[Techtalk] Sendmail or other

Robert Wichert robert at wichert.org
Wed May 5 05:32:03 EST 2004

Devdas Bhagat wrote:

> On 04/05/04 08:52 -0700, Robert Wichert wrote:
> > This may be just restating the obvious, but with increased E-Mail
> > traffic, what techniques are people using to avoid server slowdowns?  I
> Just mail, or overall total traffic?
>
> > have had several foreign contacts unable to reach my mail accounts,
> > getting repeated timeouts when the system is up and running.
> If you can confirm that your MX is not having any local chokes in terms
> of disk/CPU usage and you have spare smtpd listeners available, then
> you may be running out of bandwidth. You could ask your ISP to
> filter out a few common ports (135-139, 445) and see if traffic reduces.
>
> If you could ask your foreign contacts to send you traceroutes, it might
> be helpful in making a diagnosis.

Yes, I agree completely, but apparently asking for a traceroute in
Japanese is pretty hard.  It seems that most people don't know what it
is, and some can't be bothered.

My current technique is to send mail to myself and the target, using
several different sent-from accounts to see which ones make the trip
back.

Thanks for the tips on filtering ports though, that makes sense for
sure.

Robert Wichert