[Techtalk] login photo problem on SuSe

Nicoya Helm nhelm2 at kumc.edu
Tue May 4 10:12:27 EST 2004

I'm stumped by what seems like a simple problem. I'm wanting to change
the default .png that is currently being used for the graphical login
manager when my SuSe 9 desktop system boots up.  Althought I'm running
gnome sessions after login, kdm is being used for graphical login.

Here are bootlog excerpts:
Starting service kdm<notice>startproc: execve (/opt/kde3/bin/kdm) [
/opt/kde3/bin/kdm ], [ LC_MONETARY= CONSOLE=/dev/console TERM=linux
SHELL=/bin/sh LC_NUMERIC= QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3 LC_ALL= progress=39
INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-2.82 KDEROOTHOME=/root/.kdm REDIRECT=/dev/tty1
COLUMNS=78 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
LC_MESSAGES= vga=0x311 RUNLEVEL=5 LC_COLLATE= PWD=/ LANG=en_US
PREVLEVEL=N LINES=25 HOME=/ SHLVL=2 XCURSOR_THEME=blueprint-cursor-theme
no_proxy=localhost WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde LC_CTYPE=en_US
splash=silent sscripts=40 LC_TIME= _=/sbin/startproc
DAEMON=/opt/kde3/bin/kdm ]
done
<notice>exit status of (xdm splash_late) is (0 0)
Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been reached

Based on this, I'm assuming I should be able to use kcontrol's Login
Manager utility to control the graphical login behavior - including what
icons are associated w/ which users.  And I can - except for the icon
part.

When I get to the Login Manager screen for modifying user icons, I
notice that the default.png that's shown is not the one that's being
displayed at login.  Login Manager shows the default.png from
/etc/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdm/pics/users, but the one that's actually in
use is in /opt/kde3/share/apps/kdm/pics/users.  Weird thing is, if I
modify any other setting, such as background, splash screen logo, etc,
the change takes effect.  The only thing I can't get to take effect is
the only thing I _want_ to take effect, which is to use a custom .png
for a user.

Any hints on where I can find where the icon selection is controlled
from would be much appreciated.