[Techtalk] Sendmail or other

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Wed May 5 02:18:07 EST 2004

On 04/05/04 08:52 -0700, Robert Wichert wrote:
> This may be just restating the obvious, but with increased E-Mail
> traffic, what techniques are people using to avoid server slowdowns?  I
Just mail, or overall total traffic?

> have had several foreign contacts unable to reach my mail accounts,
> getting repeated timeouts when the system is up and running.
If you can confirm that your MX is not having any local chokes in terms
of disk/CPU usage and you have spare smtpd listeners available, then
you may be running out of bandwidth. You could ask your ISP to
filter out a few common ports (135-139, 445) and see if traffic reduces.

If you could ask your foreign contacts to send you traceroutes, it might
be helpful in making a diagnosis.

Devdas Bhagat