[Techtalk] Sendmail question #2

Martin, Caitlyn Caitlyn.Martin at ncfcorp.com
Mon Mar 29 17:14:14 EST 2004

Hi, Kathryn, and everyone else,

> I use sendmail also. Old habits die hard and i've been using sendmail for
> 16 years. I use MailScanner to scan for viruses and spam in much the same
> you described.

The problem is not detecting spam.  We do that well enough.  The issue
really is that we know it's spam but that rejecting it as such causes a mail
loop since the bounce would go right back to us.

One approach might be to correctly detect that the header is forged.  Fine,
again, we know it's spam.  How do we bounce it somewhere other than the
reply-to?  How do we drop the stupid thing altogether instead of generating
a bounce?  If I could do that the problem would be solved.

Regards,
Cait

Caitlyn M. Martin
System Programmer - UNIX Administrator
Application Software Development
National Commerce Financial Corp.
2323 Operations Drive, Mail Stop OC-13
Durham, NC 27705

Email:  <<mailto:caitlyn.martin at ncfcorp.com>>

Please note:   Internet email is not a secure form of communication. Please
do not transmit confidential or sensitive information through this medium.

If you have received this email in error, please contact us immediately by
return e-mail and delete this document. The contents of this message are
confidential and may not be reproduced or used by anyone other than the
intended recipient.  <<http://www.ncfcorp.com/>>