Remote X applications (Re: [Techtalk] Re: Discovering my IP address)

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue Mar 16 10:00:17 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:02:06 -0500, Angelina Carlton wrote:

> You need to enable X forwarding on BOTH hosts, the remote and
> the local host.

True, that's why I suggested using 'ssh -X' to connect.  That enables
forwarding at the local end, if it's not enabled by default in
/etc/ssh/ssh_config.  Command line parameters override the defaults.

> Also, If you dont have root, and want to see your ip info, or are like
> me and too lazy to su,

You need to be root to change something with ifconfig, but don't need
to be root to run ifconfig to view the interface status. The examples
I posted yesterday were run from my normal user account.

Cheers,

John
--
"When Avon holds out the hand of friendship, watch his other hand -
that's the one with the hammer."