Remote X applications (Re: [Techtalk] Re: Discovering my IP address)

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue Mar 16 09:54:34 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:54:44 +1100, Sue Stones wrote:

> Thanks heaps John,

You're welcome.

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:18 pm, John Clarke wrote:
> > Yes, and it's a very easy thing to fix - five seconds to change
> > sshd_config and restart sshd.  They may have a good reason to disable
> > x11 forwarding though - it can use a lot of bandwidth.
>
> Its not likely to be used much though, all those windows dependent students.

Then they may not be concerned about bandwidth, and it might be simply
that they didn't enable it because they didn't think anyone would use
it.

> Are there any security issues with it?

Not compared to allowing telnet in :-)  Seriously though, there's no
reduction in security at the ssh server end of the connection.

Cheers,

John
--
Happiness is realizing that one of your WinBlows boxes can't talk to
theFreeBSD Samba swerver because the Samba swerver got upset at an