[Techtalk] configuring Apache2 for pdf(fixed)

Helen hrosseau at rogers.com
Mon Jun 14 11:23:35 EST 2004

Rachel McConnell wrote:

> Cynthia Kiser wrote:
>
>> Looks to me like everything is set up just fine. I hit that url and it
>> behaved what I consider "normally" but I don't have any browsers that
>> invoke Acrobat Reader inline. I would now start to doubt the veracity
>> of your bug report. Ask your user to retry - and ask them to provide
>> an example that works "correctly" on their browser and for their
>> definition of "correctly".
>> Quoting Helen Rosseau <hrosseau at rogers.com>:
>>
>>> I had a typo the first time I did this.  It does say that it is a
>>> pdf file and to use the default application for pdf
>>>
>>> Helen
>>>
>>> susebox:/opt/mozilla/lib # wget -S
>>> http://www.blackburnhamlet.ca/banjun04/
>>> pg1.pdf
>>> --07:55:49--  http://www.blackburnhamlet.ca/banjun04/pg1.pdf
>>>           => `pg1.pdf'
>>> Resolving www.blackburnhamlet.ca... done.
>>> Connecting to www.blackburnhamlet.ca[69.198.158.16]:80... connected.
>>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
>>> 1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>>> 2 Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:50:22 GMT
>>> 3 Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Linux/SuSE)
>>> 4 Last-Modified: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:10:57 GMT
>>> 5 ETag: "4353b-11ac0-e5ab3e40"
>>> 6 Accept-Ranges: bytes
>>> 7 Content-Length: 72384
>>> 8 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
>>> 9 Connection: Keep-Alive

>>> [=================================================================================>]
>>> 72,384        45.37K/s    ETA 00:00
>>>
>>> 07:55:51 (45.37 KB/s) - `pg1.pdf' saved [72384/72384]
>>

> There is also a header called Content-Disposition, which can be set to
> the value 'attachment'.  This suggests to the browser NOT to attempt
> to show the file inline, but to treat it as a downloadable file to be
> saved or opened at the user's discretion.  Since this header doesn't
> show up in the list above, it's probably not the issue, but it's
> something else to know about.
>
> Rachel

If any one is interested.  I found the main issue to fix the fault.

One of the two following lines fixes the problem
in the file /etc/apache2/mime.types
application /pdf      pdf   %pdf
application/%pdf      pdf

Because it is an active server and I was in a rush I didn't have time to
try each individually.
I added the %pdf to the  normal application line  and then added a
second line of application/%pdf     pdf
restarted the apache2 server, and it appears to all work now.

Helen