[Techtalk] configuring Apache2 for pdf

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Fri Jun 11 10:50:55 EST 2004

Cynthia Kiser wrote:

> Looks to me like everything is set up just fine. I hit that url and it
> behaved what I consider "normally" but I don't have any browsers that
> invoke Acrobat Reader inline. I would now start to doubt the veracity
> of your bug report. Ask your user to retry - and ask them to provide
> an example that works "correctly" on their browser and for their
> definition of "correctly".
>
> Quoting Helen Rosseau <hrosseau at rogers.com>:
>
>>I had a typo the first time I did this.  It does say that it is a pdf file and
>>to use the default application for pdf
>>
>>Helen
>>
>>susebox:/opt/mozilla/lib # wget -S http://www.blackburnhamlet.ca/banjun04/
>>pg1.pdf
>>--07:55:49--  http://www.blackburnhamlet.ca/banjun04/pg1.pdf
>>           => `pg1.pdf'
>>Resolving www.blackburnhamlet.ca... done.
>>Connecting to www.blackburnhamlet.ca[69.198.158.16]:80... connected.
>>HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
>> 1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> 2 Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:50:22 GMT
>> 3 Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Linux/SuSE)
>> 4 Last-Modified: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:10:57 GMT
>> 5 ETag: "4353b-11ac0-e5ab3e40"
>> 6 Accept-Ranges: bytes
>> 8 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
>> 9 Connection: Keep-Alive
>>10 Content-Type: application/pdf
>>
>>100%
>>72,384        45.37K/s    ETA 00:00
>>
>>07:55:51 (45.37 KB/s) - `pg1.pdf' saved [72384/72384]

There is also a header called Content-Disposition, which can be set to
the value 'attachment'.  This suggests to the browser NOT to attempt to
show the file inline, but to treat it as a downloadable file to be saved
or opened at the user's discretion.  Since this header doesn't show up
in the list above, it's probably not the issue, but it's something else
to know about.

Rachel