[Techtalk] mutt hooks (was PGP signing mail)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jun 8 09:53:54 EST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Is there a better way of handling this?

The normal way seems to have a "." hook for every variable:

send-hook . set a=b
send hook blah set a=c

send-hook . set q=r
send-hook foo set q=s

I agree that it isn't very nice and I like your idea here:

> I suppose you could put all the
> variables to be cleared into a ~/.mutt_defaults script, and source
> that as the first operation in any hook.

I think ultimately the problem is that mutt lacks that most power-user
of features: a scripting language that can modify mutt's state at
runtime. Of course, that brings its own set of complications, but it
does tempt me to try learning emacs and switching to wanderlust at some
point.

-Mary