[Techtalk] PGP siging mail

James jas at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 6 18:18:59 EST 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:02:45 -0400, Teri Solow <tsolow at terisolow.com> wrote:

> The purpose of this message is twofold: first, to see what happens
> when I send a PGP-signed mail to the list, and to find out whether
> this annoys anyone, or whether anyone cannot read it (in which case I
> don't expect many replies).

Hey! I can't re- oh wait... ;-)

> Secondly, I'm wondering about your opinions regarding signing all
> mail, including work email (which you can pretty much guarantee will
> be read by people using Outlook).  I have heard that some mail clients
> (most notably Outlook) do not understand multipart/signed attachments,
> and will for some reason make the body of an email only viewable as an
> attachment in the case where it receives attachments it doesn't
> understand.  Of course, I'm not sure how old that information is, and
> for all I know it ceased to be valid years ago.  But that's what I'm
> asking all of you for- to get feedback from people who likely have
> more experience than I do.  :)

I've a feeling this was discussed here a while ago - the end result
being that the list software strips off all attachments, including
the signature. Result: the body appears just as I saw it, as a plain
old unsigned email.

(If you put the signature inline, rather than as an attachment, it
should work as expected: everyone receives a signed message, which
in some cases just means they see a few lines of random-looking
characters.)

James.