[Techtalk] Re: [Issues] DNS question

James jas at spamcop.net
Thu Jun 3 00:49:15 EST 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:19:13 +1000, Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004, dave wrote:
>> The methods you both described do not work for me. My registrar does
>> not accept an IP for a nameserver, and there are no options for me to
>> "register" a nameserver.
>
> Wel, this is very strange. Because they need he IP address *somehow* to
> construct a glue record.
>
> Which registrar? Perhaps one of us has used them before and can help
> out.

I had this issue with one registrar - can't remember which - their web
form apparently refused to accept anything other than a name. However,
there was some trick: wrapping the IP address in angle brackets somehow
caused it to accept the IP address after all...

In the end, though, I used a free DNS service from Sitelutions
(www.sitelutions.com) - nice quick updates, five servers, and very
reliable IME. Obviously their servers are already registered, so
no problem there.

James.