[Techtalk] Double-click selection of words in Firefox

Riccarda Cassini riccarda.cassini at gmx.de
Wed Jun 2 22:34:39 EST 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004, I wrote:
> Akkana Peck wrote:
> > Riccarda Cassini writes:
> > > I'd like to extract only the pure numbers (without the trailing comma
> > > or dot) by double-clicking on them, to then cut-and-paste them into
> >
> > Happily, the one thing you can do is make it stop at punctuation.
> >
> > In mozilla, it's easy: go to your mozilla profile directory
> > (probably ~/.mozilla/profilename/blahblah -- wherever prefs.js is)
> > and edit user.js (create the file if it isn't already there).
> > Add this line:
> >
> > user_pref("layout.word_select.stop_at_punctuation", true);
>
> That was exactly the info I needed to get me going on this...

Today I learnt, that you can type "about:config" in the urlbar to get
a complete listing of all hidden browser preferences, that you can't
otherwise access via the GUI. And, you can modify them to your heart's
content (by right-clicking on the entries) - in case you know what
you're doing.
This is ingenious...   The only thing I'm missing there is another
column with a detailed explanation of what each option is for - people
like me cannot always immediately guess from the option's name itself.
(I understand, however, that *someone* would have to do the boring
part, and write up all the help messages... It's probably not that
people just haven't had the idea :-)

Maybe you all knew about this already.  Well, hopefully, there's at
least one person who didn't, so this post is useful in some way - I
guess you're not necessarily interested in each and every discovery of
mine, per se... ;-)

Riccarda

PS:  anyone knows of any other "about:*" tricks I might want to learn
about?  My first guess "about:about" didn't have the desired effect...