Registering nameservers (Re: [Techtalk] Re: [Issues] DNS question)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jun 3 09:19:11 EST 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> Some registrars (godaddy.com for one) require you to submit the name
> of a nameserver already registered with network solutions.  I have no
> idea how you bootstrap that process if you don't have a domain
> registered with network solutions.

This one site suggests that isn't true for godaddy:
http://www.onsmart.net/kb/article.print.35.htm but I don't have an
account there and can't check.

Various pointers around the net point to http://nsiregistry.com/ which
redirects to http://www.verisign.com/nds/naming/ , but I can't see
anything helpful there, it seems to be only for registrars.

The only two registrars I've used are dotster.com, which lets you
register nameservers, and tppinternet.com, which requires you to enter
both names and IPs for nameservers.

-Mary