Registering nameservers (Re: [Techtalk] Re: [Issues] DNS question)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jun 3 11:40:38 EST 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004, dave wrote:
> Strange, I didn't see Mary's reply that was quoted in the message.

For some reason, my messages to LinuxChix mailing lists are often
delayed by up to 12 hours in the linuxchix.org mail queues (I've looked
at the headers, it isn't my mail queue). Cc-ing you on this one.

> I registered my domain with 1and1.com. I guess that's what I get for
> looking at really cheap plans. So, the A-name record that DynDNS.org
> gives me will have to do. At least they provide a secondary nameserver
> for free.

1and1's FAQ claims that you can do this:

    To [create a glue domain], please create a subdomain
    "ns.domain-of-your-choice.com" and assign an IP Address to it. Once
    the IP Address has propogated you can assign
    "ns.domain-of-your-choice.com" as the DNS for your domain
    "domain-of-your-choice.com".

http://faq.1and1.com/what_is_/40.html

For what it's worth, the Google search that turned this up was:
    nameserver site:1and1.com

-Mary