[Techtalk] Content management systems

Jennifer Scalf jscalf at pegasus.rutgers.edu
Wed Jul 14 17:54:43 EST 2004

First, thank you Cynthia for the link.
http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/SubVersionAndCvsComparison

(That was so I don't post a bunch of thanks yous :)

Now....

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 17:02, Terri Oda wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2004, at 4:38 PM, Dennis Wheeler wrote:
> > http://www.perforce.com/ is my personal favorite
> > excellent user community and tech support is very responsive (when
> > there
> > is trouble)
> > free for open source projects (check their website for details), or
> > personal use.
> > More expensive than cvs (out-of pocket), but I believe will save money
> > overall (time spent using/administering)
>
> I'll second the recommendation of perforce.  I don't know if it matters
> to you, but in addition to the usual stuff, it's got good
> cross-platform capabilities (I used it on something like 7 different
> platforms) and an excellent windows GUI.

We would prefer all free open source software. I believe, if I read it
right, universities have to pay.

> That said, what sort of security issues are you encountering with CVS?
> I know renaming is annoying (unless you don't mind editing the
> repository by hand) but I've not heard a whole lot of security concerns
> related to it.
>
>   Terri

We would like to be able to submit some very sensitive files, some of
which actually include passwords. I know that sounds silly to some but
we just need to keep stuff straight.

There are some interesting security features a long the lines of
protecting files like that with subversion and opencm apparently. I was
hoping maybe someone can elaborate on that.

Thanks,
Jennifer