[Techtalk] Setting a homepage only at first startup of browser (Opera)

Julia Christianson juliac at patriot.net
Wed Aug 11 08:30:15 EST 2004

Magni Onsoien wrote:
> The clever information department at my university has come up with the
> idea of forcing everybody to have their lousy intranet as "start page"
> (they are not using the term "home page"). I don't mind having the
> intranet as my first page when I start the browser (hence "start page"),
> but when I push the "home"-button, I want my personal link page to come
> up.
>
> I am using Opera on Linux as my browser. Is this behaviour possible to
> get, either via regular Opera-magic (making a page a "splash page"?) or
> via javascript magic?
>
> Tricks for other browsers, like Mozilla and perhaps IE, would also be
> interesting, I guess, both for Linux and Windows.

I don't have Opera, but for Mozilla I can just call it from the command
line with the URL of the page that should come up, e.g.

    mozilla http://linuxchix.org

I would imagine the others would work the same (even lynx
http://linuxchix.org) ... so just add the URL to the command line in
your shortcuts, etc.

-- Julia