[Techtalk] Setting a homepage only at first startup of browser(Opera)

Tracey Clark grrliegeek at elenari.net
Wed Aug 11 08:47:45 EST 2004

And it was said by Magni Onsoien-->
> I don't mind having the
> intranet as my first page when I start the browser (hence "start page"),
> but when I push the "home"-button, I want my personal link page to come
> up.

Whether they call it the "start page" or not, it is what Opera refers to
as the "home page", which is set in the Preferences. The Home button will
take you to whatever is set as the Home Page.
My first question would be - if you manually changes your Home Page, does
it automatically revert to their "intranet start page"? (They can set
network scripts to automatically change that setting). If you can
manually change it, you can do so.

If your home page choice is automatically overwritten with their home
page choice, you could make a script that would call Opera from the
command line to open the page you want, as was suggested. Unfortunatly,
I'm not conversant enough with Opera to tell you what the command line
command would be. It may be as simple as:
$>opera www.myhomepage.com
(with "myhomepage" being whatever site you want to open)

So - does changing the home page manually work or is it overwritten? Once
we know that we can go from there.

--
Tracey
Linux Counter #264789

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect." - Linus Torvalds, New York Times, 28 Sept 03