[Techtalk] NOT Moving to Europe (WAAAY offtopic!)

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Mon Sep 29 14:43:15 EST 2003

Julie wrote:

> Maria Blackmore wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 01:18:06PM -0400, distantnorth at netscape.net
>> wrote:

>>> The anti-Israel,
>>

>> I believe that a good deal of the anti-Israel feeling has been
>> brought upon
>> Israel by their own actions.  Quite honestly, I find the actions of the
>> country shocking and largely horrifying, with regards to it's
>> foreign/domestic
>> policy.
>

> This is not a political debate -- I'm writing this in the hope
> that anyone who feels the need to debate this gets out a stack
> of history books and learns their history.
>
> I was a kid when the 6 Days War took place.  I barely remember it
> when it happened, and then remember reading a book about it
> ("Swift Sword").  The history of the modern State of Israel is
> one in which its neighbors have done everything imaginable to kill
> as many Israeli citizens as possible.  Which correlates well with
> what happened before 1948 when Jews moved into the British Mandate,
> and before that when Jews moved out of Europe.

This though, does not give a right to behave to others as badly as
others have to them.
No matter how badly you have been treated and / or betrayed, doing this
to others [in retribution?] will only increase the trouble. Go check
your history books yet again....

These views, combined with those posted by Aguido Davis, only lead to a
point where mutual distrust is such that no way out exists. Viewing
yourself as the victim, and the other as a barbarian (combining the 2
views for a moment) leads to a worldview where own actions are always
acceptable. This irrespective of the objective criteria that can be
used. The others will never be viewed as a possible companion: a
barabarian is untrustworthy.

The net result is you both become partners in crime, the crime being
mutual hate.

Regards,

Rudy

P.S. I am not saying no anti-semitic views exist in EU countries, but
placing all critique under the heading of "anti-semitic" is way to easy.
It does allow to ignore the comments though.