[Techtalk] NOT Moving to Europe (WAAAY offtopic!)

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 00:40:06 EST 2003

Maria Blackmore wrote:

>>The anti-Israel,
>

> I believe that a good deal of the anti-Israel feeling has been brought upon
> Israel by their own actions.  Quite honestly, I find the actions of the
> country shocking and largely horrifying, with regards to it's foreign/domestic
> policy.

This is not a political debate -- I'm writing this in the hope
that anyone who feels the need to debate this gets out a stack
of history books and learns their history.

I was a kid when the 6 Days War took place.  I barely remember it
when it happened, and then remember reading a book about it
("Swift Sword").  The history of the modern State of Israel is
one in which its neighbors have done everything imaginable to kill
as many Israeli citizens as possible.  Which correlates well with
what happened before 1948 when Jews moved into the British Mandate,
and before that when Jews moved out of Europe.

I'm into geneology.  Thanks to the web I'm able to look up family
history much better than before.  One of the things that really
hit home about the history of European Jewry was noting that the
handful of Jewish ancestors I have all left Europe during the
pogroms of the late 19th century.  I have English and Irish
ancestors who left at other times, for other reasons, but the
German Jews in my family tree immigrated at a time when a great
many other Jews found Europe intolerable.  Many of the Jews who
settled in Israel after WWII move to Israel because anti-semetism
was rampant in Europe after the war, only to find that the
countries which surround Israel were bent on Israel's destruction.

Being unaware of this history is itself a form of anti-semetism.
It's like saying that the current state of race relations between
whites and blacks in the United States is in any way the fault of
blacks.  Please -- before you find Israeli politics or behavior
distasteful, study the history of the Jewish people and the
State of Israel.  Blaming Israel is blaming the victim.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.