[Techtalk] NOT Moving to Europe (WAAAY offtopic!)

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Sep 29 03:47:49 EST 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 01:18:06PM -0400, distantnorth at netscape.net wrote:
> David wrote:
> >> here in UK, or better still western Europe.
>
> The anti-Israel,

I believe that a good deal of the anti-Israel feeling has been brought upon
Israel by their own actions.  Quite honestly, I find the actions of the
country shocking and largely horrifying, with regards to it's foreign/domestic
policy.

> and to a somewhat lesser degree anti-Semetic, sentiment

I do not see any anti semetism, nor do I feel any.  I regard religion as
being an issue entirely seperate from state.  However the state of Israel is
one that makes me feel deeply uncomfortable.  I find myself deeply opposed
to Israel as a country, but this doesn't mean that I hate the people who
live there or originated there, and I couldn't care less what religion they
are, since I treat all religions with equal contempt.

> >> OK, we've got a few bigots of our own, but I think the general
> >> atmosphere is much more tolerant.
>
> I'm not convinced.  The intolerance is different is all, and is
> expressed differently.

In what way is it different?

> I could be comfortable in France or the U.K., yes, but I don't know that
> I'd say it's in any way better there.

In the UK I would say that I feel uncomfortable less of the time

> I think as a UNIX/security geek my opportunities are best in the U.S.

Do you mind if I ask why you think this?

Maria