[Techtalk] how to get PID without using pidof command?

Stratis Aftousmis stratus at ccsi.com
Fri Sep 19 21:18:06 EST 2003

>    Stratus,
>
>    The end product is not ready yet. I am new to shell scripting and the
> embedded platform, so I am trying out a few options to find the best
> solution.
>    I actually have to write a program that sends data over a PPP
>    connection but I do not want to hold the calling program while the
> PPP connection is being established. So I was thinking of sending
> signals from the PPP script to the main program once the connection
> is
>    established, or if it gets dropped, or if ppp script fails for any
> reason. Hence, my question.
>    Does this approach sound right? Any suggestions?
>
>    Thanks,
>    Ruchika
I don't know.
I'm just a person who is learning bash programming among other thing's,
i'm learning C programming, but i still don't know enough yet for me to
confidently answer your question...

--
www.ccsi.com/~stratus
stratus at ccsi.com

"What is complex to one, is not to another."
~In the beginning there was the command line: by Neal Stephenson