[Techtalk] Help! Apache startssl Dies Silently?

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Thu Sep 18 15:20:55 EST 2003

Hi. I just upgraded my Apache from 1.3.26 to 1.3.28, along with its related
mod_ssl and various other stuff (see below). Now when I run "apachectl
start", the server starts fine, but given "apachectl startssl", it prompts
for my PEM pass phrase, and then claims "httpd started" -- but  in
actuality, it dies silently. No errors show up in the logs, either.

The platform is Slackware 8.0 on a Pentium 133, with 64 MB RAM. My Apache
configuration is:

Apache 1.3.28
mod_ssl 2.8.15-1.3.28 (DSO)
mod_perl-1.28 (compiled statically)
php-4.3.3 (DSO)

A few diagnostics, run from /usr/local/apache:

root at surehand apache# bin/httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
   http_core.c
   mod_so.c
   mod_perl.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec
root at surehand apache# bin/httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix)
Server built:   Sep 18 2003 13:01:49
root at surehand apache# bin/apachectl configtest
Syntax OK

I will not send my httpd.conf to this list unless lots of people ask, as
it's nearly 1700 lines long. But I'll be happy to send it to individuals
who ask.

Thanks in advance.

                                                 --Kai MacTane