[Techtalk] Shell script to send user defined signal to a process

ruchika khera ruchika_khera at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 02:09:06 EST 2003

   Hi,

   I want my shell script to send a user defined signal to a process. I
   know that using pidof <processname> I can get the pid of the process
   and using kill <sig #> <pid> i can send the signal to the process
   whose id is eq to <pid>. How can I do this in a shell script.

   The foll does not work -
   #!/bin/sh
   PD=pidof test
   kill 41 $PD

   This might be a very simple thing to do but I am beginner at shell
   scripting. Would appreciate it if someone could help me.

   Thanks,
   Ruchika

   [1]Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage.