[Techtalk] Kill question

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Wed Sep 24 14:44:46 EST 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:15:06PM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:35:53PM +0200 or thereabouts, Gina Lanik wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:11:45PM -0700, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
[...]
> > > kill_name evolution
> > > kill_name gconfd
> > > kill_name bonobo
> >             ^^^^^^
> > Since you know the names of the programms you want to kill you might also
> > want to look into 'killall'.
>
> Just a note, because I habitually post this every so often on
> the Gnome-related lists, too. (Where Linux users occasionally
> advise it without checking what OS the person is running Gnome
> on, or without realising it's on Solaris.)
>
> killall does very different things on Linux and on Solaris. On
> Solaris it is much more literal. It kills all. Regardless of what
> you put after it on the command line.

Thanx Telsa for pointing that out - I keep forgetting to mention that since
I work on Linux-boxen (almost) exclusively. IIRC killall works differntly
on all !Linux machines (seen it on AIX, HP-UX as well) =)

Cheers,

Gina
--
Gina Lanik                      :: LinuxChix member
SysAdmin                        :: http://www.linuxchix.org/