[Techtalk] How should I partition the hard drive?

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Fri Oct 31 12:03:48 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:13:29 +0100, Hamster <hamster at hamsternet.org> wrote:
> Ok, so I'm a bit slow.
>
> The archives I found belong to the newchix list, and they are only
> available to subscribees of newchix (did I just make that word up?)
>
> So if youre a subsciber of newchix, then I can tell you where to look, if
> not we'll find another way.

Sorry, I only get this one for now. I'm on another list, and pull in a few
newsgroups so that keeps me plenty busy. :)

Thanks for the info. I decided on last night reinstalling and have it like
this:

swap            1G
/boot           100MB
/tmp            5G
/var            5G
/               10G
/home           (rest of drive space)

Probably I went way overboard on /tmp but not sure about /var as I hope to
do some database programming with php/MySQL sometime in the future.

This all could change sometime though, as I learn more. :) Right now I'm
100% linux.

I even took the "Made for Windows98" sticker off my computer and replaced
it with one I printed out that says "Linux 2.4" and a penguin no it. :)

TechChiq