[Techtalk] How should I partition the hard drive?

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Fri Oct 31 17:13:29 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:47:05 -0500
TechChiq <techchiq at hotpop.com> wrote:

> *yell* ;) Would you? I'd be very thankful... :) I'm on dial-up do
> downloading 51 MB is rather cumbersome, unfortunately.

Ok, so I'm a bit slow.

The archives I found belong to the newchix list, and they are only available
to subscribees of newchix (did I just make that word up?)

So if youre a subsciber of newchix, then I can tell you where to look, if
not we'll find another way.

But in summary, my answer to the question is one of those "it depends" type
answers.

If youre just using your machine as a desktop machine, I tend to go with the

/
/home
/swap

schema. That way every time I reinstall, I dont lose my home dir. /home is
by far the largest partition on my drive. I have not only /home/hamster for
my homedir, but I also have /home/rpms where I stored downloaded stuff
/home/Pics (for my camera pictures) /home/mp3 and so on.

I run several flavours of linux though, so my real partition table looks
like:

hda1 mdk
hda2 rh
hda3 deb
hda4 -extended-
hda5 /home
hda6 /swap

If youre looking at partitioning for a server though, it might be worth your
while to split things out even further. It just depends on your philosophy.
But most commonly people will set up a separate partition for /var

Hamster