[Techtalk] Intermitent Wifi connection.

Carlo Hamalainen Carlo.Hamalainen at mansfield.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 30 12:42:57 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 02:40:55AM -0500, Andrew wrote:
> 	I expect this to be as reliable as the wire for my desktop, Is that a
> valid expectation?   Tripping over the wire, or the rug over the wire is
> a pain.

It should be reliable, especially if you're close to the access point.

> Approximately 14 feet separate the access and pcmcia card

Is that 14 feet line-of-sight, or are there walls/floors in between? In
my flat the access point is about 30 feet away, but through a few walls
and floors, and I was getting horrendous signal quality, droped
connections, etc. I ended up running a cable to my room!

There should be some errors/warning messages in /var/log/messages about
the connection. Can you post these? E.g. I often saw something to the
effect of "access point out of range", quickly followed by "access point
in range".

-- Carlo