[Techtalk] Intermitent Wifi connection.

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 30 03:40:55 EST 2003

Hi All,

	My new Wifi connection is intermitent, ranging from 1mb to 5, to 11 and
back, mostly staying around 1mb and off.  As yet it has worked for only
about 15 minutes. I could tolerate no more, reminded me of dial-up. (-:
And stuck the wire back in.
	I expect this to be as reliable as the wire for my desktop, Is that a
valid expectation?   Tripping over the wire, or the rug over the wire is
a pain.

Mndk 9.2 / 24.22.21  Mndrk. wifi tools
PCI adapter /Pmcia in a desktop box
D-link 650 pcmcia 802.11b Card
D-link access point
Approximately 14 feet separate the access and pcmcia card

iwconfig shows;
eth2      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"default"  Nickname:"MTux2"
          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.437GHz  Cell: 00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx (This
is correct)
         Bit Rate:1Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

	I suspect the firmware could be updated. But I have only Linux and
haven't figured out how to do it. And it may not be the problem.

	Any suggestions are welcome. Favorite guides or tutorials also welcome.

	Thanks in advance
	Andrew