[Techtalk] Reply-to-list in mutt (Re: [Issues] ... )

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Fri Nov 28 13:08:15 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 08:14:37PM +0100, Marleen Garcia wrote:

>       lists     techtalk at linuxchix.org
>       subscribe techtalk at linuxchix.org
>
> Both lines *are* needed, I think to use anything related to List

I use only "subscribe" and the list functions work fine for me.  I'm
using Mutt 1.2.5.1i (2000-07-28).  From the muttrc man page:

        Mutt maintains two lists of mailing list addresses,
        a  list  of subscribed mailing lists, and a list of
        known mailing lists.  All subscribed mailing  lists
        are  known.

The second sentence explains why "subscribe" is sufficient - "lists"
adds to the known mailing lists and "subscribe" adds to both known and
subscribed mailing lists.

The difference between known and subscribed lists is that mutt will add
a "Mail-Followup-To" header (if $followup_to is set) when sending a
reply to a subscribed list, but not when replying to a known but
unsubscribed list (this is mentioned in section 3.9 of the manual but a
full explanation is in section 4.8).

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net