[Techtalk] A distro for old machines...

Bud bud at babytux.org
Fri Nov 28 13:20:37 EST 2003

Hi,

  I am interested in trying to build a desktop distro that will work on old
computers. By old I mean it should work on a P MMX 200Mhz+ with 32MB ram and
a 4MB video card.

It should be able to run X windows with a decent desktop so that its intutive
for newbies/windows users (with minimal documentation). The applications I am
looking to run are mainly office based. Simple mutimedia is ofcourse a like
to have option (play mp3, mpg/vcd and an audio cd)

 Here are some of my questions I have.. if anyone has any insight I'd be
interested to know..

* Would kde/qt work faster than Gnome 2.0/gtk 2+
* Would debian be a good starting point or should I look into Slackware
* Would kernel 2.6 be able to work faster (having been customized) or should I
stick with 2.4 or even perhaps consider 2.2
* Would i386 be faster than i586 compiled apps if one was to run in a PII or
PIII platform? I heard some ppl say that newer architecturs can emulate i386
better than i586. Since my bottom line is Pentium I could consider i586

* Would dietlibc be anyfaster and effectively usable as a replacement for
glibc

* Has this been done? Any similar project?

 Being in a third world country (Sri Lanka) there are plenty of P MMX and PII
machines floating around running windoze 98. It would be nice to be able to
replace them with a free alternative which is more up2date.

Bud
--
We can change the world if god gave us the source code